Thursday, October 6, 2011

Obsessed

I really am, and I have no problem admitting it.

I love fiber. Wool, silk, acrylic; yarn, roving, pure fleece.  I love it all.

My mind has been going a-mile-a-minute for the past week or so as I've renewed my efforts to start hand spinning again.  The roadblock in my way?  Several UFO's dying to be finished and posted here or Etsy, or wrapped up for gifts to deserving family members and friends.  I have several scarves, a cross stitch, and a pair of socks to complete; wouldn't it be nice if they were done in time for the holidays?

Usually I try to be very articulate and easily understood, but sometimes my excitement gets the better of me and I send emails or have phone conversations like this one:


"Hi Momma,

I forgot to call this AM.  I've been so preoccupied with work on auto-pilot and "fiber arts" dominating my mind.  

One thing I think I forgot to mention about my mini vacation to the 1000 islands is that there was a farm market/wine festival at Boldt castle.  One of the reasons I was so hot to go that weekend was because of the festival.  I bought DELICIOUS smoked cheddar cheese (which was quickly demolished!) and saw some beautiful knit pieces and SPINNING WHEELS!!!!!

I've decided, well I decided a long time ago, that I wanted a spinning wheel.  I play with the thought of having an angora rabbit too.... (to spin it's fur of course!)  I do have a very cheap drop spindle and some roving (processed wool ready for spinning) that I'm going to play with soon, and look into nicer, better spindles for the interim.  Eventually I will own a house where I can have my very own diana-crafty-yarny-fireplacey heaven.  With comfy furniture of course and walls and walls of books.  Think John Adams library (remember that?) meets woman's solar without lacey pink nonsense.  Oh, and big windows.  probably a window seat or alcove with small pleasure-book book case and chaise lounge.  

See I have it all planned out, you'll have to visit. 

I'll *hopefully* have my hand spinning started by the wedding so that I can really finish up UFO's (unfinished objects) and make more!

Ok, enough of the crazy ramblings.  Love you, xoxoxoxxo,
Diana"


I really can be crazy at times but it's a matter of my excitement and ideas piling onto each other so fast and thick that my mouth can't keep up with my mind and I eventually become incoherent.  If I had any sense at all, I'd carry the kind of notebook that would allow me to jot down and draw all of these fantastic ideas and commit them to paper to clear out my head space a bit. 

Below is an image of the John Adams Library in Quincy, MA that I mention in my email to my mother.  I loved visiting it because of the walls and walls of books.  I am a firm believer in fireplaces accompanying books and fiber arts, as well as leather chairs near the fire place.  I won't have something as large as this, but I loved this space so much so that I wanted to sit down and sketch the entire thing and forget about the rest of the tour...




Another library, far more sumptuous than that of John Adams, is the one at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. It goes beyond luxury, and is far too much for me, but the raw elements of it are what draws me in.


I love the spiral staircase up to the second level, as well as the huge fireplace.  The windows, if I remember correctly, are large and make the room feel open and airy despite the dark colors and heavy mantle.


In my little world, I'd have something in the middle of these two spaces, with comfortable furniture, large windows, large fireplace, and loads of books.  A spinning wheel in a corner, baskets of projects, hidden storage for supplies and friends and family around with me.  I imagine good food, tea, and excellent conversation.  And now I sound like I belong in the Victorian era.... Time to get back to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment