Friday, July 13, 2012

Well, gee, I'm very good about keeping a blog aren't I?  How about I kick off a new attempt to actually write about my world, with a promise to write frequently regularly?

I will update my last post with photos, once I figure out what I've done with said photos.... There may be additional backlogging, because let me tell you, I've got plenty to share and some good shots to show! (Even if I did take them with the camera on my phone...)

The three most important things that have happened since I last wrote, can be summed up in as many words: cat, garden, pickles.  I have acquired a new feline friend who was a godsend.  My original cat Matthias (Matti) has been a right little hellion from kittenhood on, and within three days his new friend Cricket had him smitten.  Anymore, they're inseparable, which means I no longer get savaged as a result of play nor do I have the experience of walking by the kitchen table and being sneak attacked.  Those antics were cute, but now that Matti has a friend who will play with him to his heart's content, I can pretty much leave them to their own devices.

In January I chose to return to school for a BS in Mechanical Engineering (my 2nd undergrad degree), despite the crazed looks my friends all gave me when I suggested it.  It is quite odd being back in school especially amongst people who are several years my juniors, but I know the eventual payoff will be worth it.  Plus, a grad degree should only take an additional year and hopefully I can find someone to help fund that endeavor.  

Returning to school meant moving into a 1 bedroom apartment.  More often than not, those don't come with a balcony and thus, no place to garden.  Last summer I had plants growing riotously in the yard at my boyfriend J's house, but this summer I am reduced to a 48" fluorescent industrial troffer and an attempt at an indoor garden.  It's growing slowly, but well.  Herb production is all I'm getting at the moment, but I expect come winter, the plants will finally produce tomatoes, squash, etc.  Why in winter?  Because this blasted apartment is right next to the boiler in my building and stays a nice 70 degrees or worse all year round!  I'm lucky if i can get it down to 60 by throwing the windows open in the winter.  Granted, this past winter was more of a California winter than a NY one, but I'm sure the same things will apply come November of this year.

Finally, I discovered an AMAZING farmers market only minutes from my apartment.  The produce is incredible, and I've been buying pickling cukes like no tomorrow.  My neighbors and friends all love the bread and butter pickles I've made thus far, but I'm going to try a more savory pickle today since I'm just about sugared out!  I also played with pickling Cauliflower, and that turned out very tasty.

I finally broke down and bought a 21qt canner, so today, the pickles I'm planning to make will get processed and will keep on the shelves til I'm ready to pop the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment