Monday, May 13, 2013

Dinner Alone

For the past 15 months, I have lived alone, in upstate New York, trying to figure out how to successfully cook for one. I've come up with some pretty crazy combinations, trying to minimize the waste in my fridge, And being miserable about the lack of a compost pile. I've been piss-poor blogger, and far more focused on everything else that was happening in my life. With summer, and summer classes, on the horizon, I'm going to try and keep the promise I need to myself to keep this little blog going.

Food has always been one of my deepest obsessions. It has consumed my life from the time that I could competently help in the kitchen through the present. I chose not to pursue culinary for my career, and instead chose to focus on cooking for myself and my loved ones. As it is, I'm going to write a cookbook… Just as soon as I find all that copious free time people tell me about!

Tonight, I cooked something that was absolutely out of this world: Peppered mahi-mahi on a bed of farro (made with peas, onions, mushrooms, garlic, and cilantro), topped with a cilantro-pea purée. Sadly, the purée was not a concoction of my mind, but it's a great jumping off point for my own purée recipe.




The recipe for the pea puree can be found from Kitchen Confidante, and directions for cooking Farro can be found here.  The farro recipe calls for salted water; I accidentally over-salted mine, but when mixed with the veggies (which were cooked without additional salt), the farro ended up being spiced well and wasn't too salty. 


No comments:

Post a Comment