Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year, New Resolutions...

...NOT. I have decided that New Years Resolutions are the quickest way to demoralize yourself in the new year. No, I've decided that instead of making resolutions that, funnily enough, look a lot like last year's resolutions and disintegrate in a couple of days when I've forgotten them, I'm going to make decisions.  I've laughed too little and eaten too much, moved too little, knitted too little and cried too often.  I've been under more stress than I care for and spent too little time focusing on my work in meaningful and dedicated ways. So I'm deciding to knit and crochet more.  I've decided to learn to quilt and to finally open my Etsy store which I created a couple of years ago and never populated. I've decided to move more and remind myself to eat the things I love (which also happen to be pretty damn healthy, so Huzzah!). I've decided to cook more and savor each bite, to pack away the portions I don't need to eat so I eat only what I really want to be satisfied and not more because it tastes so good (I may have housed entire pots of curry or boxes of mac and cheese because they were so damn tasty...).

I've also decided to be happier. Yep, you heard me, I'm just going to BE happier. Because, after all, don't we all deserve to be happy? I had a moment today where, out of the blue, it happened.  I felt AMAZING. I was walking maybe 30 feet across a parking lot (out of a hardware store after having purchased a replacement part for my toilet of all things) with my jacket open, my hair blowing in the wind, winter chill on my cheeks.... I felt beautiful. In that moment, no instigation, I just felt awesome.  It was pretty cool to just be happy with no provocation. I wanted to xerox that moment over and over so I could come back to it again and again.  

So the short of the long of it is, decide to be happier.  Don't promise yourself you're going to work out and lose that holiday weight, decide to move more and eat less. Decide to love yourself a little more and indulge in the things that make you happy while giving only what you need to, to the things that don't.  Make the decision to make your life more yours and a happier place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment